The Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of Mississippi is practically hosting its 17th annual Gillespie Business Plan competition on April 9th.
The application deadline is March 28th.
To apply, participants must submit:
- A short form with basic information
- A one minute introductory video showing the problem they are solving. how they solve it and their target audience.
Everyone who takes part in the competition has the opportunity to present an idea. Each applicant must have at least one full-time undergraduate or graduate student from Ole Miss to help start and run the business.
Entrants entering the competition will have the opportunity to win many prizes including:
- First Place Prize: $ 10,000: Distributed in two servings as a check to the registered company. The winner will also receive office space in Insight Park, provided that the incubator admission criteria are met.
- Runner-Up Prize: $ 5,000: Will be distributed by check to the company of incorporation.
- Four runners-up: $ 1,000: deposited into students’ scholarship account.
- Thomas W. Colbert Community Bank Innovation Award: USD 5,000
- Lynn and Ron Samuels Student Entrepreneur Award: $ 5,000
- Stephen E. Rowell Entrepreneur Award: $ 5,000
Past Gillespie winners included DaisNotes, a grouping platform that allows students to interact with other students while sharing notes and other tutoring activities. Developed by Nicholas Neilson-Slabach and Kyle Herbert and Collegiate Tutoring, an Oxford-based company that connects students with tutors to help them learn key concepts and improve their grades developed by Lee Ingram.
The Thomas W. Colbert Community Bank Innovator Award for 2020 went to Tereza Janatova and Matthew Curries DataBrace, a knee brace that tracks the reach and movement of the knee.
The award for Lynn and Samuels Student Entrepreneurs 2020 went to Maverick McSparin and Kathryn Bickerstaff, two students who developed Vaught It, a portable storage service for the tailgate on soccer game days.
For more information, please visit www.olemisscie.com/programs/gillespie-business-plan/ or contact Tong Meng at email@example.com.